History of COCIN
Dr. Willem Herman Karl Kumm, Dr. Ambrose H. Bateman, Mr. John Burt and Mr. John Lowry Maxwell arrived Wase town in Plateau state, Nigeria on the 8th October, 1904. This small beginning in Wase led to the foundation of the Fellowship of the Churches of Christ in Nigeria (Tarrayar Ekklesiyoyin Kristi a Nigeria, TEKAN), with COCIN as a member.
Dr. Karl Kumm, Dr. Ambrose Bateman, Mr. John Burt and Mr. John Maxwell
1907 - 1910
Members of the Cambridge University Mission Party (CUMP), who were Anglican by tradition, brought the gospel to Panyam in 1907 and to Kabwir in 1910.
1930 - 1934
By mutual agreement, the work of the CUMP was later handed over to the SUM, British Branch, from 1930 - 1934.
The aim of the SUM, British Branch, was to establish an indigenous Nigerian Church which would be self-supporting, self-propagating and self-governing. By the grace of God, this aim of the Mission was achieved in 1948 when the Mission gave the Nigerian Church the freedom to administer its own affairs.
In 1958, the Church was incorporated under the name Ekklesiyar Kristi a Sudan (EKAS,) Plateau da Bauchi ta Yamma, under the Land Perpetual Succession Act Cap. 98, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 1968. It was registered as No. 493 at the Company Registry, Lagos, Nigeria and this name was later changed to Ekklesiyar Kristi a Nigeria (EKAN) Plateau da Bauchi (Plateau and Bauchi Church of Christ in Nigeria). The first four registered trustees of the Church were: Rev. Rindap Damina Bawado, Rev. Dusu Lodam, Rev. Istifanus Deshi and Mr. Akila Wantu Machunga. About a year later, Rev. Manasseh Gyemu Toma replaced Mr. A.W. Machunga.
On 21 June, 1976 the Church duly changed its name and the registered trustees of the Church of Christ in Nigeria (COCIN) and in 1977, the Sudan United Mission ceased to exist in Nigeria. All property and administration of mission affairs in Nigeria was handed over to COCIN.
- Go to the TOP -